Last updated on September 9th, 2022 at 4:24pm
When your cloud is truly enabled, you can move quickly and focus on meaningful work because you aren't worried or delayed by surprise costs or blown budgets. Kion enables you to be proactive, not reactive, regarding your financials. This means not only providing the visibility and context of who, what, where, and how of your cloud spend but preventing overspending and automatically enforcing limits for resources and accounts. Kion's financial enforcements make it easy to see projects that are spending too quickly for their budget and notify the relevant parties to take action. In addition, you can trigger cloud rules to stop budgets being exceeded, prevent compliance violations, and eliminate needlessly paying for zombie instances by automatically terminating or freezing resources when a set limit is reached.
Customers love Kion's financial enforcements because they're flexible and adapt to how you operate in your cloud. For example, Kion can provide escalated visibility and notifications for overburning projects or OUs if you prefer to manually intervene or employ automation and cloud rules to place guardrails when you need assurance that limits won't be violated. You can also apply multiple enforcements to combine notifications and automated actions. A few examples include:
- Creating developer sandbox accounts with a fixed allowance
- Notifying project stakeholders their budget limit is approaching
- Ensuring production environments don't exceed set thresholds
- Preventing experiments from blowing their budget on expensive services
- And many more!
Financial enforcement actions are simple to create if you have the requisite roles and permissions for the given OU or project.
Creating a New Financial Enforcement
- Navigate to the desired Project or OU.
- Select the "Enforcements" tab.
- Select "Add"
- Select the Enforcement Type, either "Project" or "Service".
- Set the Trigger for the enforcement.
- Set the Event(s) that occur when the enforcement is triggered.
- Choose which users or user groups will be notified when the enforcement is triggered.
- Add an optional description.
- Select "Save".
Financial enforcements are an essential piece to complete cloud enablement. They give you the confidence to experiment within, scale, and expand your cloud with the certainty that your spending will be within the parameters you define.
If you'd like to see a demo of Kion's other financial management features or how we can help you to reduce your cloud costs, please contact one of our experts.